Have you ever tried making yogurt? It's a lot easier than you think. I experimented with this non-dairy coconut yogurt because while I enjoy dairy, I also want to limit it in my diet. What I love about this coconut yogurt is that all of the wonderful healthy fat from the coconut milk helps curb my appetite from breakfast to lunch. It also only has just 4 ingredients, which = healthy and easy!
I made this in my Instant Pot, which has a yogurt setting. But it is also easily made in the oven using the light as the heat source for 24 hours.
Learn More ›
Directions1. Put your coconut milk in your Instant Pot, put the lid on, and press “yogurt” then “adjust.” This will bring your coconut milk to a boil. Once you see “yogurt” on the screen, turn off the Instant Pot, and let the coconut milk cool down to 100 degrees. You can do this in the fridge if you want it to speed up the process. (If you don''t have an Instant Pot, boil your coconut milk in a medium saucepan on the stovetop, and then let it cool until it reaches 100 degrees.) If you don''t let it cool enough, it will kill the live cultures of the starter, if it''s too cool, the cultures won''t be able to grow. So, 100 degrees is important.
2. After the coconut milk is 100 degrees, slowly whisk in the starter so you won''t get lumps. Next add your vanilla extract.
3. If you''re using an Instant Pot, put your lid back on, and press the “yogurt” button. Then adjust the time – I set mine for 6 hours but you can keep it in for up to 8. The longer the time, the tangier the yogurt. (If you don''t have an Instant Pot, put a lid on your saucepan, and place it in the oven with the light on for 24 hours. You want the coconut milk to stay between 100 – 115 degrees, and the oven light does this nicely. You can also wrap your pan with a towel to help keep the heat in.)
4. After your coconut milk has sat for the appropriate time, and while it is still warm, whisk in the gelatin slowly so it won''t clump.
5. Pour your coconut yogurt in glass containers with lids and place in your refrigerator for 6 hours. This will allow the gelatin to set and thicken your yogurt.
6. Finish with your favorite toppings and serve. Makes around 5 cups.