Remember your mother nagging you to eat your vegetables when you were little? Well, there’s a reason for that. Vegetables are vital for providing nutrients that our bodies need to stay healthy. I think vegetables are neglected the most at breakfast time, and lets admit it, we could all use more veggies in our diet, so why not start our day off with them! This Veggie Breakfast Skillet will change the way you think about adding vegetables to your diet in the morning.
The base of this delicious medley is a spiralized sweet potato. If you don’t have spiraler you can use a julienne peeler to create long thin strips. (However, I highly recommend you purchasing a spiralizer – it’s such a fun and easy way to incorporate more vegetables into your meals – I’m addicted to mine!)
This whole meal is made in one skillet that starts on the stovetop, and finishes in the oven. I have it pictured in small individual pans, but it’s even easier in one big skillet and then divided up amongst your hungry family members once it comes out of the oven.
So, lets make this skillet, and feel good about getting all these wonderful veggies in our bodies before we start our busy days!
Veggie Breakfast Skillet
- 2 tbls ghee
- 1 small sweet potato, spiralized (about 2-3 cups)
- 2-3 cups kale, chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup corn
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 scallions, chopped for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place your spiralized sweet potatoes in a large bowl, and toss well with cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Melt your ghee in a large oven-proof skillet. Spread the sweet potato out in the bottom of the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip them over when they start to brown.
- Add your chopped kale to the skillet and cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the kale starts to cook down, add your tomatoes and corn and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Make 4 wells in your veggie skillet and crack an egg into each well.
- Put your skillet in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until your eggs are cooked to your preference. Remove from the oven and top with scallions.