This bountiful, hearty bowl is packed with vibrant colors and rich flavors that are bound to be filling, even for the carnivore at heart! My family may not be vegetarians, but you can always find a wide range of plant-based foods served at every meal. In fact, veggies sometimes make up the majority of our plates and servings.
One thing I have learned through my son’s journey with Crohn’s Disease is the importance of eating the rainbow. When you incorporate more fruits and veggies into your diet you reap the benefits of phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are compounds found in plants that act as powerful defenders of health, both for the plant and the person consuming the plant. Studies have shown that people who eat more plant-based foods have reduced risks of chronic diseases. And, these phytonutrients can even help rid the body of toxins as well as support a healthy inflammatory response, a healthy immune system, and blood pressure.
So who’s ready to eat the rainbow and pack their plates with veggies?
This hearty vegetarian bowl is loaded with raw veggies and the sautéed shitake mushrooms add the perfect texture for a rich flavorful finish. You’ll find this combination of cooked and raw vegetables extremely filling, and once you drizzle the dressing on top you’ll find it is irresistible.
Hearty Vegetarian Rainbow Bowl
- 6 ounces shitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pound boiled baby purple potatoes
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounces broccoli cole slaw (one bag)
- 10 ounces shredded carrots (one bag)
- 2 ounces micro greens (one container)
For the Creamy Honey Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft. Set aside.
- On a large platter (or in individual bowls) organize the pepper slices, cooked potatoes, corn, avocado, chickpeas, broccoli slaw and carrots.
- Top the veggies with the micro greens and sautéed shitake mushrooms.
- In a large glass jar combine all the dressing ingredients and blend well with an immersion blender.
- Drizzle the dressing over the vegetable tray or individual bowls.
- Serve and enjoy.