This is a fantastic plant-based meal to satisfy everyone in the family! The Mexican flavor is delicious and the avocado crema is a perfect light dressing for the sweet potatoes, and a wonderful addition when served on top of a bed of arugula.
I’ve made these with russet potatoes as well, and they are just as tasty, it just depends on your mood. It’s an all organic meal for less than $4.00 a serving.
Vegan Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 small organic sweet potatoes ($5.45)
- 1 can Earth Fare Organic Black Beans, rinsed ($1.39)
- ½ pint organic cherry tomatoes, quartered ($1.99)
- 1 teaspoon cumin ($0.15)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder ($0.15)
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt ($0.15)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika ($0.15)
- 2 organic limes ($1.99)
- 1 organic avocado ($0.99)
- ¼ cup organic cilantro, chopped ($0.99)
- 2.5 oz organic arugula (1/2 of a clam shell) ($1.99)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Wash the sweet potatoes, pierce with fork, rub a small amount of oil on the skin (I used coconut oil), and lightly salt. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- While the potato is roasting, put the drained black beans, quartered cherry tomatoes, and herbs in a small bowl and mix well.
- To make the avocado crema, put the peeled and pitted avocado in a food processer, squeeze in the limes (about ¼ cup) and ¼ cup water. Process until smooth.
- When sweet potatoes are done, take them out of the oven and let them cool to the touch. Cut them down the middle lengthwise, and scoop out the flesh into a medium sized bowl. Mash the sweet potatoes, and then fold in the bean and tomato mixture. Divide this mixture evenly back into the sweet potato skins, and bake another 10 minutes.
- To serve, place arugula on a plate, top with 1 or 2 sweet potato halves, drizzle with avocado crema and top with cilantro.