This recipe has fall written all over it. You can’t go wrong with butternut squash, sausage, sage, thyme and cheese! It is also super simple to make. In fact, I don’t know why it’s taken this long for me to dream up a twice baked squash. I love twice baked potatoes, and this is the same idea.
This makes a wonderful meal by itself, and is easily made vegetarian by substituting the sausage for Lightlife’s Gimme Lean meatless veggie sausage (which was my favorite sausage substitute when I was a vegetarian).
Twice Baked Butternut Squash
– 3 butternut squash (1.5 to 2 lb. each)
– 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or other high heat cooking oil)
– 1 1/2 lb. ground sausage
– 8 oz. ricotta cheese
– 4 oz. goat cheese
– 1 cup shredded mozzarella
– 2 heaping tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped
– 1 heaping tablespoon fresh thyme
– freshly grated nutmeg
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Halve each butternut squash lengthwise and remove the seeds, then place cut side up on a foil lined baking sheet.
3. Drizzle with the grapeseed oil, then season with salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg.
4. Roast until tender, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool to the touch.
5. While the squash is in the oven, cook the ground sausage in a skillet until browned. Drain and set aside.
6. When the squash is cool enough to handle, carefully scoop out the flesh, not getting too close to the skin to keep the squash shell intact. Mash the squash flesh with the ricotta cheese, goat cheese, sage and thyme. Add the sausage and stir to combine. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
7. Stuff the mixture back into the squash shells. Top with the shredded mozzarella and bake until heated through and the cheese has melted, around 15 minutes.