It’s the New Year and time for new year resolutions. Eating and drinking more healthy should be at the top of all of our lists.
Last year, I gave up my morning coffee. It actually wasn’t that hard for me because I never really liked the taste of coffee (which often led to my adding far too much sugar to make it more enjoyable). I knew the biggest thing I would miss was having a warm cup of ‘something’ in the mornings. As I discovered new options, one of my favorite ways to replace coffee was with this Turmeric Golden Milk.
I did some research and found that turmeric helps support a healthy inflammatory response – which sounded appealing because I have chronic back pain. I also found other benefits of turmeric, like aiding in detoxification, supporting a healthy liver, aiding digestion and metabolism, and supporting healthy skin. Wow, I was in!
To make this Turmeric Golden Milk, I start by making a paste that includes other herbs like ashwagandha, which has been said to support our body’s ability to cope with stress as well as a healthy thyroid function. I also add black pepper and coconut oil which are essential in helping your body absorb the turmeric.
The best part is that once you have made the paste, it keeps in the refrigerator for a long time. So it’s much easier to make your golden milk in a hurry (because we all know that mornings aren’t always easy). It’s also a great addition to rice, soups, sauces, sautéed veggies, smoothies, and more!
Turmeric Golden Milk
For the turmeric paste:
– 3 tablespoons organic turmeric
– ¼ teaspoon black pepper
– ½ teaspoon ashwagandha
– ½ teaspoon cardamom
– ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
– ½ cup water
– 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the golden milk:
– 6-8 ounces almond or coconut milk
1. Combine all the ingredients, except coconut oil, in a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat for 5 – 7 minutes.
2. Add the coconut oil and stir until melted. Adjust the thickness by adding a small amount of water or turmeric.
3. Allow mixture to cool, then store in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
4. To make your golden milk, whisk 1 teaspoon of your turmeric paste into 1 cup of warmed coconut or almond milk.