Sometimes berries just need a cake, and so do we! This recipe from King Arthur Flour is perfect for summer berries. The airy crumb is owed to almond and coconut flour, which also makes it a delicious gluten-free option that will please any sweet tooth!
Strawberry Almond Flour Cake
Serves 8 to 12
– 4 large eggs, separated
– 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar, divided
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 1/4 cups almond flour
– 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 1/2 to 2 cups sliced strawberries (or other berries of choice), for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8″ round pan with butter (dairy-free if desired) or coconut oil. Swirl in the pan and make sure it goes up the sides. Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of the sugar listed in the ingredients into the bottom of the pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla until smooth.
3. Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Slowly beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
4. Whisk together the dry ingredients – flours, baking powder, and salt – and add to the egg yolks. Stir together to form a thick dough.
5. Fold in the egg whites, 1/2 cup at a time, incorporating them fully between each addition. The final addition should result in a smooth, fluffy batter.
6. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes, until it’s golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the sides, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate.
8. Allow the cake to cool fully before topping with sliced strawberries, or the fruit of your choice.
King Arthur Flour is America’s oldest flour company, founded in Boston in 1790 to provide pure, high-quality flour for residents of the newly formed United States. 220 years later, King Arthur Flour offers a variety of flours (including traditional, as well as almond flour and coconut flour), all non-GMO and made with the highest standards. It’s no secret that King Arthur Flour is a trusted staple for passionate bakers!