This salad screams spring with raw asparagus, roasted chickpeas, and a wonderful lemon vinaigrette.
Shaving asparagus eliminates the need to tenderize it with cooking, leaving it light and crisp (and absolutely yummy). Look for thicker asparagus which is easier to shave. I used a T-shaped vegetable peeler, making it nice and easy to get thin slices. When serving, you can either leave the asparagus in long strips, or cut it in bite sized pieces for easier eating.
Spring Asparagus Salad
For the vinaigrette:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 – 4 tablespoons lemon juice (or the juice of one lemon)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ roasted garlic bulb
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed drained and patted dry
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 lemon
- 2 lbs. asparagus
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cut the top off the garlic bulb, drizzle with avocado oil, and wrap in tinfoil.
- Place the rinsed, drained and dried chickpeas on a sheet pan, drizzle with avocado oil, and sprinkle with salt. Slice one of the lemons and place in a single layer between your chickpeas on the sheet pan. (I had about 6 slices and used a small lemon.) The lemons will leave a delicious citrus flavor on the roasted chickpeas. Put your chickpeas and garlic in the oven and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, shaking halfway through. Roast your garlic for about 40 minutes.
- Add the vinaigrette ingredients to a blender and process for about 15 to 30 seconds or until well blended. Taste and lightly salt and pepper as needed.
- Rinse your asparagus and snap off the bottom tough part of the stem. Using your vegetable peeler, peel all the asparagus.
- Place asparagus, and chickpeas on serving plate or in a bowl, top with chickpeas and drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve with roasted lemon slices.