Spaghetti is one of those classic meals that often gets forgotten. But the combination of a tangy tomato sauce on top of a hearty pasta (and yes, carbs can be good for us) is something that never goes out of style.
If you think a good, homemade tomato sauce is hard, then think again. Not only is the sauce something that you can combine and allow to simmer with little to no ‘babysitting’, it’s also an incredibly forgiving sauce – there’s little that you can do to ruin it. This also means that you can experiment with lots of ingredients to make it your own.
This sauce tastes amazing on pastas of all kinds – whole wheat, penne, spinach, you name it! With a bit more simmering, it can be used as a pizza sauce as well. And for those with a gluten allergy, you can also use it to top vegetable noodles.
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Pasta Sauce
– 1 medium red pepper
– 1 small yellow onion
– 2-3 roma tomatoes (or similar)
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 can Earth Fare Diced Tomatoes (we used, no salt added)
– 1 can Earth Fare Tomato Paste
– 1 tablespoon Earth Fare Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 1 tablespoon dried basil
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place red pepper, onion and roma tomatoes in a bowl in drizzle with olive oil, turning to lightly coat. Then place vegetables on baking sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes, turning once halfway through, or until they have a slight char on the outside. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Remove the charred skin of the vegetables and place in food processor or blender. Pulse until the vegetables are combined and smooth, but a few chunks remain.
4. Place roasted vegetable puree in a large pot and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine and bring to a low simmer.
5. Continue to simmer on low for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the sauce achieves the desired consistency (i.e using for pizza, the sauce should be relatively thick).
6. Add any remaining additions (like extra veggies, fresh herbs, meatballs), serve and enjoy!