These toasts are incredibly easy to put together for a family brunch or special event, and it’s the perfect meal to invite your little ones to help with (or make on their own, depending on their age).
Have you heard the phrase, “eat the rainbow”? It’s a catchy way of inspiring us to eat a vast array of colors because the color of the food you eat has a lot to do with the nutritional value it contains. So, to ensure you get a variety of vitamins and minerals, you should be eating lots of colorful fruits and vegetables.
Here is a quick breakdown to what each color means:
- Red improves heart health, supports joints, and improves memory.
- Orange boosts eye health and promotes collagen growth.
- Yellow includes ascorbic acid (vitamin c) which helps with overall immunity.
- Green detoxifies, fights free radicals, and promotes overall balance in the body.
- Blue and Purple improve mineral absorption, is a powerful antioxidant and contains anti-aging benefits.
- White supports healthy bones, the circulatory system, and arterial functions.
Give these Rainbow Ricotta Toasts a try, and then mix it up! Use an avocado instead of ricotta and yellow pepper instead of the egg to make it vegan. Sub out the sourdough with a gluten free toast. Use your own favorite veggies, or what you have left over in your fridge. Just remember to make it colorful!
Rainbow Ricotta Toast
- 4 slices of Sourdough bread
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise in half
- 10-12 garlic gloves
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other high heat cooking oil
- 4 eggs, soft boiled or hard boiled
- 4 tablespoons pesto
- ½ to 1 cup arugula
- ½ to 1 cup purple cabbage, sliced thin
- Roast your tomatoes and garlic in oil on a sheet pan in a 400-degree oven for about 10 minutes.
- Toast your bread and divide your ricotta cheese over them.
- Arrange your veggies in rainbow fashion on your toast: divide your tomatoes and garlic to one side, then slice your eggs and place next to your tomatoes, then put a stripe of pesto and top with arugula and finish with your purple cabbage.
- If you plan on taking these on a picnic, wrap tightly in wax paper or saran wrap to ensure your veggies stay in place.