There’s only one way to taste the rainbow, and that’s by loading your plate with an array of vibrant, healthy veggies! Every plant we eat contains phytonutrients, substances that pack loads of benefits for our bodies. There are thousands of phytonutrients and the more we eat, the healthier we are.
In general, different colored vegetables (and fruit) contain different phytonutrients. So, by “eating the the rainbow” our bodies are receiving a wider variety of phytonutrients. Go on, then, it’s a game!
For example, leafy greens like broccoli or kale contain carotenoids which directly benefit and support healthy eyes. On the opposite spectrum, red onions contain flavonoids, a powerful class of phytonutrients that support a healthy inflammatory response and a healthy immune system.
These flatbread pizzas are an easy to eat the rainbow and fun way to sneak a few more veggies onto your child’s plate. Plus, it’s a great recipe to get your little helper into the kitchen – because healthy habits start early.
Rainbow Flatbread Pizzas
Makes 4 Pizzas
- 4 slices naan bread
- ¾ to 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 to 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Assorted colorful veggies: broccoli, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper, grape tomatoes, purple onion, purple carrots or purple sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and chop veggies into small pieces.
- Arrange naan bread on a baking sheet and spread pizza sauce over each slice. Top with cheese and then arrange veggies in color order, starting with the broccoli and ending with the carrots or sweet potatoes.
- Cook in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until veggies are softened and cheese is melted.