Quinoa (keen-wah) is a “super grain” and a great replacement for rice. This humble grain is slightly smaller than couscous and is high in protein, containing all nine amino acids and nearly twice as much fiber as most other grains. Try this salad as a great way to put quinoa to use for a crowd or as an easy lunch that lasts the entire week.
Quinoa with Black Beans and Feta Cheese
– 1 cup Earth Fare Organic Tri-Color Quinoa
– 2 cups water (or broth), for cooking Quinoa
– 1 can Earth Fare Black Beans, heated (if desired) and rinsed
– 1 pint cherry tomatoes
– 1 bundle green onions
– 4 leaves of kale (optional)
– 1 cucumber, diced into ¼ inch cubes
– ½ cup feta cheese
– ½ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
– 1 ½ tablespoons cumin
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare quinoa according to directions on the package and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
3. Rinse and dry the cherry tomatoes and green onion, then lightly coat in oil and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the veggies are fragrant and slightly charred on the outside.
4. Allow the tomatoes and onions to cool slightly, then chop tomatoes in halve and onions into ¼ inch pieces.
5. Combine all of the ingredients (except feta cheese) in a large bowl and toss to combine. Add any additional spices and then top with the feta cheese, tossing once to twice to lightly combine.
6. Serve and enjoy!