There’s no herb that smells more like summertime than sweet basil. And whipping up a quick pesto is my favorite way to perfume the kitchen—and have a delicious sauce that goes with just about anything!
I recently discovered that combining pesto with hummus is a really tasty way to add some summer flare to everyone’s favorite snack food.
This pesto hummus is perfect for picnics, barbecues, or even just snacking on around the house! I like to reserve a little of the pesto for drizzling over the top of the hummus, and some sweet sun-dried tomatoes add the perfect pop of color and flavor to finish it off. Serve your pesto hummus with any of your favorite dippers—cucumber slices, bell peppers, and sweet potato chips are my go-to’s!
Serves 4-5, as a snack
- 1.5 cans Earth Fare organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmiagiano Reggiano
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup Earth Fare Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Earth Fare Cashew Butter (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil (for topping)
- Peel the outer skin off of the garbanzo beans. Reserve the beans and discard the skins.*
- To a food processor, add the basil, chopped garlic, grated cheese, olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Process until smooth and reserve a tablespoon or so of the pesto for drizzling on the finished hummus.
- To the food processor, add the peeled chickpeas, cashew butter, squeeze of lemon juice, and water. Process until very smooth, adding more water if needed and scraping down the sides of the food processor. Taste, and adjust with additional lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add hummus to a bowl and drizzle with reserved pesto and top with sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts, if desired. Serve with sliced veggies, pita, or sweet potato chips.
*Note: Peeling the skins of the garbanzo beans will result in an ultra-creamy hummus. This step can be skipped, and will result in a hummus with a more rustic texture.