This Sloppy Joe recipe is healthier and tastier than anything you’ll get out of a can. It is paleo, which means there are no processed foods, just good clean ingredients. It is also grain free, dairy free and doesn’t have any refined sugar. If you omit the demerara sugar, it’s also Whole30 approved.
These Paelo Joes are served on top of a potato parsnip mash. You will love the flavor the parsnips add to this dish! Even better, this hearty meal is almost all organic and costs less than $3.50 per serving! That is an incredible value for a family meal.
- 1 lb grass-fed ground sirloin ($3.99)
- 1 organic onion, diced ($1.29)
- 1 organic bell pepper, diced ($2.99)
- 15 ounce can organic tomato sauce ($1.69)
- 6 ounce can organic tomato paste ($0.99)
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar ($0.15 found in bulk)
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire ( $0.03 )
- 1 tablespoon organic Dijon mustard ( $0.08 )
- 1 lb organic russet potato ($2.29)
- 1 lb parsnips ($3.29)
- 1 cup organic chicken stock ($0.49)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel your potato and parsnips and dice them small. Boil until tender, and drain. Mash them with ½ cup of chicken stock. Add the rest of the broth as needed to make them the consistency you like. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large sauté pan, brown your ground beef. Move your meet to one side of the pan and sauté your onion and pepper on the other side until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, worcestershire and mustard into your meat, onions and peppers, and cook for a couple more minutes. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve meat sauce on top of potato parsnip mash.