I developed this recipe with my clients in mind. Mexican street corn is so flavorful, and I was looking for something similar that I could leave with my clients to eat later in the week. Making this traditional dish into a salad was the perfect answer!
This salad is my take on the classic. I decided to omit the cheese, and instead replace it with bacon, black beans, bell peppers and farro. These ingredients hold up better in a salad and make it a nice satisfying dinner – it would also be a fantastic addition to a potluck dinner or BBQ!
I wanted this meal to be an affordable meal as well, so I used Earth Fare Brand products, which are an exceptional value. I love that Earth Fare continues to expand their products, and get excited when I see more products available! I also bought the farro and spices from the bulk sections, which means I only need to buy the amount needed for this recipe and I love that!
This dinner comes in at under $2.15 a serving! And, I mean, who doesn’t need to watch their pennies every once in a while.
Mexican Street Corn Salad with Farro
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked farro ($0.99)
- 6 slices Thick-cut Earth Fare Bacon, cooked and chopped ($3.99)
- 2 bags Earth Fare Frozen Corn ($1.69 each)
- 1 can Earth Fare Black Beans ($0.99)
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced ($0.99)
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced small ($2.50)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped ($2.49)
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, preferably avocado oil based ($0.75)
- 3 tablespoons plain grass-fed yogurt ($0.90)
- 2 limes, squeezed ($1.00)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder ($0.15)
- ½ teaspoon paprika ($0.15)
- ½ teaspoon cumin ($0.15)
- Dash of cayenne pepper ($0.05)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add farro and a pinch of salt, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Strain out any leftover water. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spread your corn over a sheet pan and drizzle with a little cooking oil. Roast frozen corn for about 20 minutes. Check on it after 10 minutes and stir it around. When done roasting, set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine drained and rinsed black beans, sliced green onions, diced bell pepper, chopped cilantro, cooked and chopped bacon, and the cooled farro and corn. Gently combine.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup whisk together the dressing ingredients until well combined.
- If serving salad immediately, top with dressing. If you are serving it later, put the salad in a separate container with a tight fitting lid. Put the salad dressing in another small container. Store both in the refrigerator and keep up to 4 days.