We don’t eat a lot of sweets in our house, but we do love to indulge in dark chocolate – especially around the holidays. So it’s a good thing that dark chocolate with 70 or more percent cocoa contains several powerful antioxidants that are actually beneficial to our health!
Higher cocoa content produces a rich, bitter taste, so I add honey and vanilla to sweeten it up and make it more appealing to the kids. And don’t let the “spiced” title scare you – my kids love the silky texture that is full of chocolaty flavor and just a hint of spice. This simple dish can be made the day or night before to make it even easier.
Spiced Mexican Chocolate Coconut Milk Pudding
– 1 14-ounce can coconut milk, full fat
– 1/4 cup raw honey
– 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
– 1 tablespoon gelatin
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
– 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1. heat the coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chocolate and honey and stir until dissolved. (This may take several minutes.)
2. Once the chocolate and honey have dissolved, remove from heat and very slowly pour the gelatin into the mixture, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
3. Once the gelatin has dissolved, whisk in the vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne.
4. Pour the mixture into ramekins or individual custard dishes, and refrigerate until chilled and firm.