Big, beautiful salads are a huge part of the Mediterranean way of eating. Nearly every meal is served with a salad full of fresh, vibrant veggies and some briney, salty additions – like capers, olives, or preserved peppers.
This salad is one of our favorites because it looks gorgeous, and it keeps us full and satisfied thanks to the protein, healthy fats, and good carbs.
The basil vinaigrette is so fresh and just ties everything together perfectly! This is a warm weather salad that will leave you with plenty of energy to get out and enjoy the outdoors. If you close your eyes, you can even imagine you’re eating it on a Mediterranean coastline!
For the basil vinaigrette:
- 1 cup fresh basil, loosely packed
- ½ cup Earth Fare Organic olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 can Earth Fare albacore tuna
- 1 hardboiled egg, sliced
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Mixed greens
- One ripe tomato, sliced
- One cucumber, sliced
- Sliced red onion
- 2 Earth Fare organic roasted red peppers, sliced
- 4-6 Earth Fare organic pepperoncini
- 1 tablespoon capers
Make the dressing:
- Add all dressing ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth, scraping down the sides with a small spatula if necessary.
- Taste and adjust by adding more salt or honey to your preference.
Assemble the salad:
- Add all salad ingredients to a serving dish or simply divide between two plates. Serve with the basil vinaigrette and a side of olives, if desired.
Note: This salad can easily be doubled to serve a crowd!