There’s a lot you might not know about the humble lentil bean. Low in calories and high in nutrition, lentils pack a lot of power into a tiny shell. They are high in fiber and lean protein, and are a great source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin, Vitamin K, and iron. But the power of lentils extends past the health of our own diets. As one of the most carbon-neutral foods on the planet, lentils are also great for the Earth.
We combined these lentils with a little spice and some cauliflower rice for the ultimate vegetarian taco. Cauliflower rice is an excellent gluten-free alternative to conventional rice, with a heartier texture that’s great as a taco base. We topped our tacos off with queso fresco and fresh veggies, but you can substitute with a dairy-free cheese alternative for your vegan friends. And if you’re planning a party, you can’t beat the price of this meal at less than $3.50 per person!
- ½ cup brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package Earth Fare Cauliflower Rice
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoke paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings of choice, like tomatoes, queso fresco, cilantro, purple onion, lettuce
- Rinse lentils and soak in a pot of water for 6 hours (or overnight).
- Drain and rinse lentils, then add to a pot with 1 ½ cups of water, salt, and 1/3 of the minced garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes (or until just tender).
- Add onion to a large skillet and sauté until browned. Add cauliflower rice and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining seasonings and continue to sauté until cauliflower rice is tender.
- Add lentils to the skillets and stir to combine. Cook on medium until mixture is heated through.
- Serve on top of tortillas with toppings of choice.