By: Allyson Meyler of Reclaiming Yesterday
Heading back to school is an exciting time for kids and their parents. But all those little minds crowded in close contact can result in a few colds, sniffles and coughs passed around – enter the creative parent who secretly adds a little immune support into a tasty recipe.
These popsicles are loaded with black elderberry syrup. Black elderberries have been used for centuries to support a healthy immune system. As an added perk, black elderberries are also loaded with antioxidants and Vitamin C (and they taste great). When combined with the probiotics from the yogurt and natural goodness of strawberries and blueberries, this easy recipe is the perfect addition to send your kids back to school with energy for focus and a little boost to beat the germs.
These Breakfast Pops go straight from the freezer to little hands, making them the perfect treat at the bus stop or on the car ride. It’s a healthy smoothie, without the cup!
Immune Boosting Breakfast Popsicles
Makes 8 popsicles
– 1 1/2 cups unsweetened yogurt
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1/2 cup organic blueberries
– 1/2 cup organic strawberries
– 1 tablespoon kids formula black elderberry syrup of choice
– 1 tablespoon almond butter
– 1/2 cup Earth Fare Whole Grain Granola
1. Mix 1 cup of the yogurt with 1/4 cup of milk and add the granola. Then divide the mixture between 8 popsicle molds.
2. Next, blend the berries with the remaining 1/2 cup of yogurt and 1/4 cup of milk, black elderberry syrup, and almond butter.
3. Add the blended mixture to fill the popsicle molds, then insert popsicle sticks and freeze for at least 4 hours or until frozen.
4. Serve and enjoy!
Allyson Meyler cooks, photographs, and eats the recipes found on her blog Reclaiming Yesterday. After struggling with her own health issues—and becoming frustrated with the Western medical system—Allyson took it upon herself to search for healing. She found relief through diet and lifestyle changes, and became a strong believer in food as medicine. She now shares her recipes and experiences through her blog in hopes to inspire others to get into the kitchen and take control of their health—and to eat some delicious food along the way! Follow along on Instagram and Facebook.