It’s summer and who doesn’t want to dive into a creamy bowl of ice cream? There was a time when homemade ice cream was a chore, requiring too many ingredients and even more work. This recipe from Horizon can be whipped up quickly and put in an ice cream maker, or you can make it without any special equipment (just a few well-timed whips while it’s freezing).
The fresh mint in this recipe really sets this ice cream apart. It distills a sweet bite that combines with the chocolate chips for the ultimate summer (or anytime) indulgence!
Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 cup Horizon Organic Whole Milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups Horizon Organic Heavy Cream
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup chocolate chips (we used mini chips for better distribution)
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, warm milk, sugar, 1 cup heavy cream, salt and mint. Once mixture is steaming, remove from heat. Cover and let stand for one hour to infuse the mint flavor.
- Strain out mint, pressing on the strainer to get out as much mint flavor and color as possible. Discard mint (or save to blend into a smoothie later).
- Pour remaining heavy cream into a large bowl and set aside.
- Rewarm the infused milk. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, then slowly pour some of the warm mint mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly. Scrape warmed yolks back into saucepan.
- Cook the custard, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats spatula (it should be about 170°F). Immediately strain the mixture into the remaining cream, then stir the mixture over an ice bath until cool.
- Refrigerate overnight, then freeze in an ice cream maker* according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add chocolate chips during the last five minutes of processing.
*Don’t have an ice cream maker? Neither did we! You can finish off this recipe with the following steps:
- Follow the directions above, including refrigerating the mixture overnight.
- Pour mixture into a loaf pan (or any metal or ceramic container with a lid). Place in the freezer, covered.
- Set your timer for 45 minutes and “hand-churn” the ice cream mixture. Do this by whipping the mixture quickly, taking care to scrape the sides and smooth each time.
- Repeat the hand-churning every 45 minutes until the mixture starts to have an ice cream texture (i.e. smooth and frozen, but not iced over). Add the chocolate chips during your last churn. (We churned our ice cream 4-5 times before it was ready.)
- Cover and freeze until ready to eat!
For more than 20 years, Horizon has worked hard to bring tasty, organic products to tables across the nation. The company was founded on the belief that organic makes a difference for families, farming communities and the environment. And they believe that the more you learn about their organic commitment, the better you’ll feel about choosing Horizon for your family.