Trick or treat may be a choice, but good, healthy treats should always be a necessity. And there’s no better time than Halloween to think about Clean candy and snacks that are better options for your favorite little ones.
While candy isn’t exactly a pillar of a healthy diet, it’s hard to avoid during holidays, like Halloween. Plus, we definitely enjoy a little indulgence every now and then. At Earth Fare, we offer Clean candy options that are free of artificial ingredients. That includes artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, artificial flavors, and artificial preservatives. From licorice and gummies to peanut butter cups and chocolate drops, we’ve got your sweet tooth and your trick or treaters covered!
And if you’re celebrating at home, or visiting a community festival, here are a couple of easy favorites that add a little flair to your table:
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 individual string cheese
- 1 package fresh whole chives
- 12 pretzel sticks (regular or gluten-free)
- Cut each string cheese into thirds.
- (Optional, heat the string cheese in the microwave for 2 to 5 seconds to make it more pliable. Careful! You may need to test one in the microwave and adjust based on your microwave’s heat settings. The goal is to soften the string cheese very slightly. It should not be melted at all.)
- Carefully cut the end of the string cheese into ninths. Do this by slicing into thirds one way (about 1/2 inch up) and then turning and slicing into thirds the other way.
- Gently poke a pretzel stick into the opposite end of the string cheese, and then tie a chive around the top of the cheese.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for later. (If refrigerating, remove 15 to 20 minutes before serving.)
Ooey Gooey Monster Mouths
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 to 3 large apples
- Nut butter of choice (chunky sticks a bit better than smooth)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup yogurt covered raisins
- Core and slice each apple into 1 1/2 inch slices.
- Spread nut butter on one side of each apple slice. Arrange yogurt covered raisins on top of half of the apple slices, and then top with another slice of apple.
- Serve immediately or refrigerator for later.