This is a quick and delicious way to enjoy an affordable organic meal that the whole family will love! The base of this meal comes from 2 boxes of Earth Fare’s Organic Shells and White Cheddar Cheese. Add spinach and chicken, and you’ve got a complete meal!
I love how fast this whole dinner comes together! I also really like that it makes a bit more than the 4 of us can eat, so I put the leftovers in individual glass lunch portions that we can reheat later in the week. This meal serves 6 and is less than $2.50 a serving.
Green Mac and Cheese
- 1 rotisserie chicken ($5 on Mondays)
- 2 boxes of Earth Fare Organic Shells & White Cheddar Cheese ($1.79 each)
- 4 ounces organic cream cheese ($1.35)
- 12 ounces Earth Fare organic frozen spinach ($2.99)
- 1 ½ cups organic milk, divided ($0.99)
- 4 tablespoons organic butter ($0.49)
- ½ teaspoon organic garlic powder ($0.15)
- ½ teaspoon organic onion powder ($0.15)
- 1 teaspoon organic Dijon mustard ($ $0.03 )
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make macaroni and cheese as directed on box.
- Debone chicken and cut meat into small cubes. It should yield about 4 cups.
- Bring spinach to room temperature, and squeeze out as much liquid as you can, using a dishtowel. Put spinach, cream cheese, ½ cup milk, garlic powder, onion powder and Dijon mustard in a food processor and blend until it becomes a paste-like consistency. You really want to break down the spinach so there are no visible leaves.
- Stir the chicken and spinach mixture into the mac and cheese and heat over the stove on medium low heat. Add more milk to get the creamy consistency you prefer.
- Serve and enjoy!