All cows eat grass, right? Unfortunately the picturesque scene of cows grazing in an open field isn’t always the life of a dairy cow – but it should be. It’s a better life for the animals, and provides healthier milk for us. Grass-fed milk provides a healthier balance of nutrients, including higher levels of omega 3s, conjugated linoleic acid, Vitamin E, and beta-carotene.
Organic Valley took a stand for better, organic farming nearly thirty years ago. And now, they are on a mission to bring grass-fed milk into every fridge with their new line of 100& grass-fed Grassmilk™ dairy products. Beyond the health benefits, Organic Valley’s co-op of more than 2,000 family farmers also know that well-managed grazing of livestock is also good for the earth. Grass-fed cows are nature’s answer for harvesting grass and maintaining biodiversity – and what cow wouldn’t want spend its days in a lush green field.
Grassmilk™ products are available in both Organic Milk and Organic Whole Milk Yogurt. But what about all of those delicious buttermilk recipes you want to try? There’s a quick fix for that, so you can have your Grassmilk™ and eat it, too! To make buttermilk, all you need is a little fresh lemon juice and a couple of minutes before you mix or bake. Simply add 1 ½ teaspoons of lemon juice to ½ cup Grassmilk™ Whole Milk and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. It’s a great way to have grass-fed buttermilk anytime you want!
And if you’re worried about the fat content in whole milk, don’t be. Whole milk is the least processed form of milk with a more healthful balance of omega 3s. Plus, it’s high time to end our battle with healthy fats! Learn more about why healthy fats are good for our bodies here.
So, here’s more excuse to dip those fresh summer veggies into this super creamy homemade Grassmilk™ ranch dressing.
Grassmilk™ Buttermilk Ranch Dip
Yields 12 ounces
- 1/2 cup Organic Valley Grassmilk™ Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Organic Valley Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh dill, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Pour lemon juice into a measuring cup and then fill with Grassmilk™milk to the 1/2 cup measuring line. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before proceeding with recipe. (Milk is ready to be used as buttermilk when the liquid slightly thickens and curdles.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, and (butter) Grassmilk™ until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate, or serve with fresh veggies!
Organic Valley is America’s pioneering cooperative of more than 2,000 organic family farms in 36 states. Which means there’s a farm nearby, everywhere. Since 1988 Organic Valley has grown their mission to make OMG-delicious food for you so that they can continue to nurture the soils, waters and communities everyone shares. Whether it’s milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, cream, eggs, produce, or soy, organic is all they ever do because Organic Valley is always bringing the good.