This curry soup is a nourishing warm bowl filled with healing foods like turmeric, garlic, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli. It is an updated, low carb variation of the English Mulligatawny soup that comes from South Indian spices. Traditionally made with chicken and rice, this vegan version uses flavorful mushrooms and riced vegetables. It is mildly spicy, creamy, loaded with veggies and simply delicious.
I use an immersion blender for this recipe because I think it’s easier, but an alternative is to transfer the soup to a stand blender a few cups at a time and blend. You will have to do this in batches because you don’t want too much hot soup in the blender at once. You can blend half the soup, or the whole thing. It depends if you want it completely creamy, or if you want some nice chunks going on.
Turmeric has a tendency to leave a stain. Keep this in mind when using your spoon to stir the soup and also when using your blender. If I wash with hot water and soap immediately, the yellow stain comes out much easier.
If you are used to turmeric and curry flavors you may want to add a teaspoon more of each to this recipe, but below is a good starting point.
For this presentation, I spooned out and reserved some mushrooms before I added the spices so I could have some to use for garnish. I also spooned out about 2 tablespoons of the cream from on top of the coconut can before I added it to the soup. I placed the thick cream in a small plastic bag and made a tiny snip in the corner in order to pipe some cream on top of the soup to garnish. Neither of these is necessary, but I think adds to the presentation if you are serving it to guests. If I’m making it just for us, and I want it to be quick and easy, then I don’t do either of these and it tastes just the same.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 7 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 package Earth Fare frozen vegetable rice medley
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 can coconut milk (with cream)
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped for garnish
- Heat up oil in a large soup pot, and sauté chopped onion and sliced mushrooms for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in minced garlic, flour, curry, turmeric, oregano, pepper and nutmeg and cook 1 more minute.
- Add frozen rice medley and break it up in the pot with a spoon. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped apples and can of coconut milk. Cook another 3-5
- Using an immersion blender, blend the ingredients. The more you blend, the thicker you soup will be.
- Once the soup is at your desired consistency, serve in bowls garnished with chopped parsley.