I can’t think of a better food to ferment than salsa! Salsa is such a diverse food. You can eat it with tortilla chips, use it in numerous Mexican dishes (tacos, burritos, enchiladas), dollop it on chili, use it as a side with a sautéed or grilled meat, or one of my favorites – serve with your scrambled eggs for breakfast.
Fermented vegetables are so beneficial to our health. They are full of good probiotic bacteria and healthy enzymes which helps restore a proper balance in our gut. When our gut is balanced it is able to eliminate toxins, and help get the proper nutrients out of the food we are eating. A spoonful of fermented foods at every meal is all you need.
The good thing about fermented veggies is that when they are eaten with a starch or protein, they make it easier for your body to digest those foods. So pile those chips and burritos high with this salsa and enjoy!
Yields 8-9 Cups
- 3 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 2 orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- Put your tomatoes, peppers, onions, and cilantro in a large bowl. (I left my vegetables chopped, but if you like a smoother salsa, put them through a food processor or blender in batches.)
- Pour lime juice and salt over vegetables and mix well. Place salsa in glass jars with a tight lid. This will fill about 8 – 9 cups worth.
- Leave the jars in a dark spot in your kitchen for 2 days, like the inside of your cupboard. You will see it start to bubble, but don’t worry, this is part of the fermenting process.
- After 2 days, open your salsa to release the gas (burping it), then place it in the refrigerator and it will be good for months!
Note: I used orange bell peppers because I like their flavor. If you prefer green bell peppers, use those. If you like it extra spicy, use poblano or serano instead of bell peppers. You can also add cumin or other spices when you add the salt and lime juice. Just experiment with your own flavor preferences and have fun with it!