Here’s a quick meatless Monday meal you can put together in no time. Most of the ingredients have a long shelf life, so you can easily have these right in your pantry ahead of time. Pick up some fresh cilantro, limes and avocado from the produce department and you’re set! You can cook the brown rice yourself, or to save some time, pick some up from the hot bar.
Beans are a great way to get protein on a vegetarian diet, so I want to include three other versions to this rice and bean bowl. All you have to do is mix up the beans, seasonings, and toppings.
- Replace the black beans with white beans. Season with Italian herbs and top with fresh basil and roasted cherry tomatoes.
- Swap in chickpeas. Season with turmeric and cumin. Top with roasted sweet potatoes and a side of spinach.
- Use black eyes peas. Season with salt and liquid smoke. Top with collard greens cooked down in some stock and a dash of vinegar.
1 tbls cooking oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cans of black beans
1 tbls cumin
1 tsp coriander
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 can diced pineapples
1 can diced green chili peppers
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 lime cut in wedges
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onions in cooking oil until soft and start to brown. Drain and rinse one can of black beans, and add to onions. Put in the other can of black beans, this one undrained. Stir in cumin, coriander, salt & pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes until heated through and bubbly.
- In a small bowl, mix pineapples with chili peppers.