I will always be impressed with the never-ending list of things that can be accomplished with coconut oil. It’s definitely one of my favorite oils to cook with because it has a high smoke point and a delicate coconut flavor that I love, but coconut oil also:
- Supports a healthy inflammatory response
- Contains antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties
- Improves memory and brain function
- Aids your body’s natural ability to balance hormones
It’s also ideal for making a quick, healthy chocolate to dunk juicy Mandarin orange slices into! Coconut oil hardens as it cools, so a few minutes in the fridge post-dip creates these perfect little bites for a pretty appetizer or dessert.
For the white dipped slices, I used coconut butter—a creamy blend of coconut meat and coconut oil. Once you dip your orange slices, don’t forget the finishing touch! A sprinkle of coarse sea salt and chopped pistachios balance the sweetness and add great texture and decoration.
Coconut Butter and Chocolate Dipped Oranges
Yields 40-50 pieces
- 6-8 Mandarin oranges
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2.5 tablespoons cacao powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Coarse sea salt
- About 1/3 cup coconut butter
- Chopped pistachios
- Add the coconut oil, cacao powder, and honey to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes to thicken slightly. While the chocolate thickens, peel the oranges and separate into segments.
- Remove the chocolate from the refrigerator and whisk again until it’s smooth. Return it to the refrigerator for a few minutes if needed (you want the chocolate to be thin enough to dip, but thick enough to coat the oranges with a thick layer of chocolate.)
- Once you have the right consistency, dip the orange segments into the chocolate and lay them flat on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt after you dip each slice, before the chocolate begins to harden.
- In a separate bowl, heat about 1/3 cup of coconut butter until you have a similar consistency as the chocolate. Dip the remaining orange slices into the coconut butter, laying them flat and sprinkling with chopped pistachios after you dip each one.
- Place the dipped oranges into the refrigerator to harden for 5-10 minutes. Remove and serve!
Note: when you bring home your jar of coconut butter from the store, it will likely have a layer of coconut oil that has risen to the top. I like to microwave the whole jar (without the lid) for 30-45 seconds, and stir to combine.