Macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods. It inspired this quick weeknight one pot meal. I replaced macaroni with zucchini noodles and added some rotisserie chicken for extra protein.
Zucchini noodles are now found in the freezer isle at Earth Fare. Did you know frozen vegetables are picked at the height of their ripeness when they are bursting with vitamins and minerals? Then they are snap frozen locking in those nutrients. Sometimes they even carry more nutrients to their fresh versions that are most likely picked before they are ripened and had a long transport and shelf life before they reach your kitchen. If a vegetable isn’t in season, I prefer to purchase frozen, and I know I can feel good about it.
One of my guilty pleasures when making this is using organic American cheese. I love the way it melts, and it brings back a comfort flavor I really enjoy. If you don’t want to use it, replace it with ½ cup shredded jack or more cheddar.
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp onion granules
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp celery seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4-6 sliced organic valley American cheese
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded or chopped
- 1 package frozen zucchini noodles
- Thaw zucchini noodles and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of them in a dishtowel. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large ovenproof saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook 2 minutes stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to make sure no clumps are formed. Add mustard, onion granules, garlic powder, celery seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Take off the heat and stir in cheese. Once cheese is melted, stir in chicken and zucchini noodles.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly. Place under broiler for one minute if desired.