Cauliflower rice and herb roasted chickpeas make the perfect vegetarian filling for a buffalo cream sauce. Stuff into bell peppers, and you have a perfect tasty edible bowl. I like my peppers still a little crispy out of the oven, but if you like them softer, boil the peppers for about 5 minutes before you stuff them.
I use Wing Time Buffalo Wing Sauce in this recipe and it is amazing! Even if spicy meals aren’t your thing, this one can be enjoyed using the mild sauce, and you still get all of that wonderful buffalo flavor. (Believe me, if I can handle it, you can too!) However they also have a medium and hot version if your taste buds like it hot.
You may want to make extra roasted chickpeas when making this recipe. I have to say it was really hard to not snack on them all before the peppers were ready to assemble!
Chickpea and Cauliflower Buffalo Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cans chickpeas drained, and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, or other high heat cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon Yakima smoked sea salt (found in bulk herbs)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup Wing Time buffalo sauce
- 2 bags Earth Fare Frozen Cauliflower Rice, brought to room temperature
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: parsley or chives for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread chickpeas on a clean towel and rub them dry, discarding any loose skins. Place the chickpeas in a bowl and toss them with the avocado oil, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper until well coated. Spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment and roast, stirring half way through, for about 30 minutes, or until crisp. Set aside.
- Reduce the oven to 375°F. Combine cream, cream cheese, and buffalo sauce in a saucepan and cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until cheese is melted and sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Slice peppers down the middle and remove the seeds.
- Squeeze the water out of your room temperature cauliflower rice, and place in a large bowl. Add your roasted chickpeas, and cheesy buffalo sauce and stir together well.
- Fill your peppers evenly with mixture. Top with shredded cheddar and bake uncovered on center rack for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Top with parsley or chives (optional) and serve warm.