If you’ve landed on this recipe, chances are that the force is strong with you. We took the classic blue milk from galaxies far away and made it better with dates, coconut and pineapple – plus a natural blue hue thanks to spirulina.
Spirulina is derived from algae and is high in protein, antioxidants, B-vitamins, and other nutrients. It’s one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and algae is one of the most sustainably harvested crops available. But don’t let the threat of seaweed in your smoothie scare you! The spirulina in this smoothie is the perfect way to get a natural blue color without anything artificial, and the taste is out of this world. While the powder may look deep green, it’s actually filled with lots of cyan pigments that release in liquid – trust us, it’s like magic.
Luke’s Blue Milk Smoothie
- 1/2 can Earth Fare Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup pineapple
- 1 banana
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- A handful of ice (optional)
- Measure out 1/4 cup from the can of coconut milk. (We like to skim the thick layer that congeals at the top of the can because it’s full of rich, healthy fats and will make your smoothie extra fluffy.)
- Add all of your ingredients (except the spirulina) to a blender and mix until fully blended.
- Add the spirulina and pulse until incorporated. You can add more as needed to reach the exact color of blue you want!