In West Africa, authentic black soap is known by its Yoruba name, Ossé Dudu. “Dudu” means the color black, which comes from the extensive “cooking” of the soap to the point of charcoal. Many cultures in West Africa use charcoal to detoxify and purify the skin.
Alaffia’s Authentic African Black Soap uses a centuries’ old recipe of hand-crafted shea butter and indigenous West African palm kernel oil. Saponification is provided by adding ashes to the hot oils, then cooking the soap for six hours. The final step is to dry and cure the soap in the sun for three weeks.
The extensive cooking and curing process results in a gentle all-in-one body wash. Not only can you use Alaffia’s Authentic African Black Soap as a body wash, but you can also use our product as a facial cleanser, or shaving lotion. Suitable for any skin type, even the most sensitive.
Here are the top 5 benefits of using Alaffia’s African Black Soap:
- Improves skin tone and fades skin discoloration thanks to the antioxidants in the soap that protect against free radical damage.
- Reduces inflammation (looking at you, acne) since the charcoal detoxifies the skin while also soothing dry and irritated skin.
- Cleanses deep since it has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- It’s Fair for Life, meaning Alaffia uses fair trade practices to produce their products.
- It’s made safe, thanks to the Made Safe seal, which verifies that the products aren’t made with ingredients that are known or suspected to cause harm to human health.
Find Alaffia’s African Black Soap and other fair trade skincare products in the Wellness department of your favorite Earth Fare!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.