Homeopathy originated in Europe more than 200 years ago through the work of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann. The word homeopathy derives from two Greek words – homeo, meaning “similar”, and pathos, meaning “suffering”. The derivation of the word mirrors the basic doctrine that informs all homeopathic medicine, that like cures like or that a substance that causes symptoms in a healthy person can actually cure similar symptoms in an unhealthy person.
A bit confused? Basically, all this means is that homeopathy uses natural substances (substances that might cause a reaction) in micro-doses to relieve symptoms by stimulating the natural ability of the body to rebalance and heal itself. Let’s take that one step further. Have you ever subscribed to eating raw local honey to aid seasonal allergies? It’s the same principle. Your body is digesting trace amounts of pollen (allergens that may cause a tiresome reaction in your body, like watery eyes, congestion, or sneezing) to help support a stronger immunity to the pollen and a more balanced response in your body.
The beauty of homeopathy is that is works with your body, enhancing your body’s natural ability to heal itself. Other advantages of homeopathy include:
- Works to rebalance instead of masking symptoms. Aids the body in doing what it does best – heal itself. For instance, a homeopathic cough syrup acts as an expectorant rather than simply coating and relieving the throat.
- Works alongside conventional medicines. With homeopathic medicine, there’s no risk of overdose. You can administer alone or in conjunction with more conventional medicines or herbal remedies.
- Ingredients are safe for young children. An FDA Panel in 2007 questioned the safety and efficacy of decongestants, antihistamines, and cough suppressants for children younger than six years old. More importantly, the FDA panel recommended that these over-the-counter medicines should not be given to children 4 years old or younger. Homeopathic options, like Boiron Children’s Cold and Cough Chestal® Syrup, uses safe ingredients so parents can relieve their child’s cough, cold, flu, or allergy symptoms worry free.
- Easy and convenient to use. Whether for yourself or your child, doling out a remedy can often take some work – sticky measuring spoons and ickier tastes. But homeopathic options taste great and are easy to administer, no matter where you are. (Boiron tubes are particularly handy for on-the-go and travel.)
Homeopathy can be used for both immediate and chronic concerns – including allergies, arthritis, cold and flu, and much more. Here are some of our favorite formulas from Boiron:
- Arnicare® Gel – odorless and non-greasy, this gel temporarily relieves muscle pain and stiffness due to injuries, overexertion, and falls. It can also reduce pain, swelling, and discoloration from bruises. (Be sure to also check out Boiron’s full line of Arnicare® products, which are great for both immediate and chronic pain and stiffness.)*
- Histaminum hydrochloricum – tiny pellets in a convenient tube, temporary relieves allergic reactions, including hay fever, hives, and insect bites.*
- Children’s Cold and Cough Chestal® Syrup – naturally sweet and tasty, temporarily relieves symptoms of the common cold such as nasal and chest congestions, cough, sneezing, minor sore throat, and runny or stuffy nose. (Safe for children ages 3 to 12.)*
*These “uses” have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
Boiron is the leader in homeopathic medicine and best known for its top-selling flu medicine Oscilloccinum®, its Arnicare® line of pain relievers, and its Calendula topicals for common skin irritations. As a pharmaceutical company, Boiron maintains the highest standards of manufacturing, complying with FDA regulations, the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, and drug Good Manufacturing Practices.